Saturday, June 9, 2018

parts unknown

Hi Folks, I had a great float with guests on a stretch of the Winooski river Thursday.  We floated on section of river that I guarantee no one has ever put a drift boat down.  I have 6 floats now that I can do with my 14' NRS.   Really nice way to see a lot of water.  the Winooski was 62 degrees and rather low.  We need some rain as it is getting a bit dry out there.  The trout fishing remains very good.  We landed a combination of wild rainbows, wild browns, and stocked browns on dry dropper rigs.  A #12 parachute with a #14 peacock soft hackle dropper and  used a #14 prince dropper as well.  We landed 20 fish and they ate the dry and dropper nymph about equally.  Lots of big slow holes we floated over with rising fish.  You really had to make an accurate cast and a good drift in order to get the fish to eat.  Not a lot of bugs hatching that night and it appeared that the fish were eating in the surface film.  It was really fun to fish water I have never seen.  Most of this section is not accessible from the bank. The only way at it is from my boat.  I am off to chase pike this morning.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  have Fun, Willy