Tuesday, May 10, 2016

old marble eye

Hi Folks, Ran the boat yesterday morning with clients in pursuit of walleye.  We drifted a lower large river for walleyes on their spawning run.  The water was up a bit from Sundays 1/4" of rain.  Water color was slightly off, which is a good thing in my opinion for chasing any lake run fish.  It was a cold morning with snow showers early on.  Good stiff north west wind that actually was pushing my boat up stream against the current.  I do not typically harvest very many fish.  Probably 95% of the fish we catch during guiding are released.  However, it is hard to pass up a fresh walleye dinner.  Nice eating fish.  We drifted brightly colored 1/4oz. jigs tipped with large crawlers and pulled perch colored Green Mt. Grabbers.  The jigs were the ticket.  Hot pink in particular. I like walleye fishing in May and I find it challenging.  Puts me a little out of my element as a fly angler and guide.  Still I guide plenty of spin fishing trips and it was how I learned to fish prior to picking up a fly rod.  I have found that the walleyes like deep holes, soft edges, eddies, and out of the main current and light.  A lot of the same principals that are used in finding trout in rivers.  This is just on a larger scale. Looks the weather is finally warming and the trout fishing should go nuts.  Looking forward to it.  Look for #16/#18 Blue Quills, #20 Olives, #14/#16 Hendricksons, #16 Grannoms, and #14 green apple bodied caddis.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy