Monday, May 9, 2016

Lots of bugs

Hi Folks, Spent some time on trout streams over the weekend.  Pretty weird weather with a beautiful Friday and Saturday with air temperatures in the high 60's. Sunday was a return to early April weather with air time temps. barely eclipsing 50 degrees.  Water temperatures had a wide range as well with the rivers I walked reaching 55 on Saturday to 49 degrees yesterday.  Got some much needed rain yesterday.  Witnessed a really good #14/#16 Hendrickson hatch Friday and Saturday with a few #16 caddis mixed in.  The bugs came off strong, but I did not see any fish respond to the may flies.  Yesterday, I saw a really good hatch of #20 tiny olives and a few Hendricksons and once again no fish responding.  Did lose a nice brown trout on a #8 black muddler minnow.  I think the water has just reached 50 degrees and the trout are beginning to tune into the hatches.  I have seen this before in the spring.  The olive hatch yesterday was incredible.  However, the water was slightly off colored and the level was rising.  The trout fishing is only getting better everyday and we are coming into to the time of plenty.  I have been walking streams that are only wild fish so I am not sure about the stocked areas.  Off to chase walleye this morning.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy