Sunday, May 15, 2016

massive hatch on Lamoille

Hi Folks, Guided the Lamoille yesterday afternoon and was greeted with a fantastic hatch of a #14 may fly.  I assumed it was a #14/#16 Hendrickson, but upon closer investigation it appeared to be a #12/#14 Quill Gordon.  I even looked in my entomology books when I got home to confirm.  Not a hatch I have witnessed a lot in my guiding and fly fishing career in Vermont.  All the same, the bugs came off in giant numbers.  There was also a few #14 brown stone flies, and a #16 dark bodied caddis later in the afternoon.  Only saw a handful of rises and they were not consistent.  The water level was up a bit from the previous days, but still below the seasonal average.  Water temperature was 58 degrees.  We hooked 4 trout swinging nymphs and emergers.  All of the fish ate the fly in the slower pools that were fed by large riffles.  The fly of the day was a #14 flashback pheasant tail.  We drifted and swung double fly rigs with a #12 double tungsten stone fly nymph and the pheasant tail as the dropper.  Added a piece of weight a foot above the flies to keep them down in the strike zone.  The Lamoille has now been stocked.  Still I prefer to chase wild trout over stocked fish any day of the week.  A cold front has moved in for the next few days.  Could snow in higher elevations tonight.  Will warm back up by mid week.  I will be running my new drift over the next few days.  Should be fun.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy