Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Hot Summer

Hi Folks, Took an aspiring fly angler out yesterday for an instructional trip and man was the weather nasty.  Maybe, I am getting soft with age, but I do not like the heat and humidity.  Big bright sun is never good.  However, I do like humid weather for top water fishing for small mouth bass.  We were learning on a trout stream where the water was 68 degrees and moved to 70 degrees at the end of our trip.  Water levels are still low and we still need rain.  Lots of #18 tan bodied caddis on tops of rocks in their casings and looking ready to hatch.  Tons of olive green to tan bodied #12/#14 grasshoppers in the fields we walked across to the stream.  We nymph fished with a #16 flashback hare's ear nymph and a #18 tan caddis pupa.  We had 3 fish eat our flies.  Pretty slow going in my opinion.  I am not shocked as the water is warm and it was awful bright outside.  Bass fishing will still stay the best option and I am off to take folks river fishing for smallmouth this morning.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy