Monday, July 30, 2012

take a walk

Hi folks, Pretty muggy out there today.  I took the day off from fishing.  I guided a small mountain stream on Sunday morning that was beautiful.  We had a pretty impressive light show with thunderstorms yesterday afternoon.  I only received 1/4" of rain at my house in Stowe.  We still need rain and our streams are pretty low.  The trout we were on was a nice 60 degrees.  Pretty easy to locate the fish.  Anything over knee deep had a brook trout holding in it.  Lots of walking involved, but well worth it.  Pretty interesting how many larger brook trout I have guided this season.  All due to a mild winter and less winter kill.  More big ones still around to catch.  I am pretty convinced that red in any dry fly makes a difference on whether you get a take or not.  I have been doing a little experimenting with flies and it appears red triggers more response than other colors.  Mix up Stimulators of various sizes and colors and see what happens.  Anywho, the brook trout are fired up with color right now and we could not miss with a #12 rubber legged royal stimulator.  Smallmouth fishing is still the best bet in town and some small trout streams have been holding temperature and water.  off to small stream fish tomorrow.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy