Sunday, April 22, 2012

spawning rainbows

Hi folks, Been spending some time on my local streams in the Stowe area.  We have lots of fishing opportunities with wild rainbow, wild brown trout, and native brook trout in our of our Stowe brooks.  Wind has been howling so I have opted to keep the boat in the barn.  My boat is ready to go and I just need the wind to lay down a bit.  River water temperatures have been hovering around 50 degrees.  The stream I visited yesterday was 50 on the nose and clear and low.  No hatching insects.  We should be seeing #14/#16 little brown stone flies, #14 Hendricksons, #16/#18 Blue Quills, #14-#18 candy apple green caddis and charcoal colored body caddis.  I did catch a small native brook trout yesterday on a #14 double tungsten black stone fly.  The high light of the day was spotting a larger rainbow trout holding over a spawning bed.  No I did not fish for this trout.  You could see the brushed out bed in gravel area at the tail out of a pool.  Makes sense, as rainbows spawn in mid 40 degree water temperatures and the eggs hatch out around 50 degrees to 58 degrees.  I was able to observe the trout for awhile before I spooked it.  Be careful walking around wild rainbow streams so you do not step on spawning beds.  Cool stuff.  Looks like a return to winter for a few days around here which will keep water temperatures in check.  Hopefully we get some much needed rain.  I will be gone for a few days fly fishing down south.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have fun, Willy