Monday, April 30, 2012

river clean-up and massive mayfly hatch

Hi Folks, Yesterday  I participated in the annual Lamoille River Anglers Association river clean-up and BBQ.  Nice to float the river in a canoe and pick up all of the rubbish and tires.  As a fishing guide I feel that it is my obligation to give something back to the resource I so enjoy and make a living from.  The wind really blew yesterday hard out of the north west.  River level are decent for this time of the year.  The water was barely 50 degrees.  We witnessed one of the best #14 Hendrickson hatches I have seen on the Lamoille.  The hatch starting coming off around 2:30pm and was still going strong at 4pm when we were pulling out of the river.  Bugs everywhere, but no surface feeding trout.  Can't say that it is the first time that I have witnessed this hatch like this without fish responding.  Always seems to be a water temperature issue.  Well I am guiding the Lamoille with the fly tomorrow and I hope that the hatch is going strong for my guests.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy