Monday, May 17, 2010

Nice sunny weather

Hi Folks, Spent the weekend away from the Stowe area down around Cavendish Vermont.  Nice part of the state.  Did a bit of fishing on the Black River.  It one of Vermont's trophy trout streams where large brood stock from the hatchery are dumped.  Big rainbows and browns in the 15" plus range.  Along with the big fish comes big fishing pressure.  I saw more people fishing yesterday that I have seen collectively all season around this area.  I can't blame them, nice day with a really nice looking river.  However, it is my understanding that the Black fishes the best in the spring before the water temperatures warm over 70 degrees.  Not much of a summer fishery.  Water temperature was 52 degrees yesterday and there were a few #14 hatching caddis, #12 March Browns and plenty of black flies.  My friend and I nymph fished using the old reliable prince nymph.  Something showy for the stockers.  Can't say I put on a clinic as I only hooked one trout but my friend caught two very fish stocked trophy fish. One rainbow and one really good looking brown trout.  All in all it was fun to fish somewhere new and enjoy some good Vermont scenery.  Will be guiding trout today and should be good.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy