Sunday, May 9, 2010

cold rain and snow

Hi Folks, Snowing right now at my house, great!  Fished yesterday afternoon on a Lamoille river tributary and the water temperatures we a chilly 42 degrees.  Not good with leaking waders.  Water levels are up a bit after receiving about a quarter inch of rain.  The Lamoille main stem was slightly high and off color and the tributary I fished was off color as well and high.  I did see a few Hendricksons #14 hatching and few shucks in a big back eddy.  Believe it or not I also found a few rising fish.  Nothing consistent but the trout that were rising were keyed into emergers.  I did not see one nose of a trout eat a dun.  So I swung a Hendrickson emerger pattern and hooked a fish.  I was so surprised that I got one to eat I lost the trout pretty quickly.  I can not imagine that the water will warm up in the next few days as the weather looks to be a bit on the cold side.  Still the trout seem to have awoken out of the winter slow down and are feeding.  You can expect to see some Blue Quills #16, Hendricksonss #14/#16, and dark bodied caddis #16, and apple candy colored bodied caddis #14.  Pike fishing in the shallows is still a good option.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy