Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Getting around

Hi Folks, spent yesterday dedicating myself to Vermont fishing.  Started the morning on lake Champlain in my friends boat fishing for landlocked salmon and lake trout.  The main lake was like glass with no wind.  Water temperature was in the low fifties and fairly sunny day.  We trolled which is not my cup of tea, but very interesting all the same.  Landed several lake trout between 3lbs and 5lbs and lost a couple of fish.  No salmon to report. One of the lake trout did have a big lamprey mark on it.  We kept our lures and flies anywhere from the surface to 15' down.  Covered a lot of water.  A rainbow trout imitation spoon seemed to be the most productive.  Later in the day I helped plant trees with fellow members of the Lamoille River Anglers Association.  A local group of anglers dedicated to stream preservation, conservation, and education.  We were helping to stabilize a  streambank with a wide variety of trees and shrubs yesterday afternoon.  Anyone interested in becoming part of the LRAA can contact me.  You can an active or inactive member.  Great way to give back to the Lamoille watershed.  so, while plantings trees and digging holes I noticed rising trout downs stream.  Well any good anglers carries his fly rod along at all times, right?  My curiousity got the best of me and I had to see what was going on.  Water temperature was 62 degrees at dusk.  I found about 15 rising fish.  I tied on #14 hare's ear parachute and landed a 14" wild brown trout on my second cast and then a 18" hook jawed male rainbow on the 5th cast.  Probably one of my single best dry fly experiences on the Lamoille in a long time.  The rainbow was incredible and a just a big fat healthy trout that really bent the 4wt. It is not every day that you catch a wild trout that big on the Lamoille.  Any trout over 15" is big.  This fish weighed almost 3lbs on my net scale.  To bad no camera.  I ended up hooking 6 trout in total and all of the fish were wild!  Not bad for about 20 minutes of fishing.  I am off to chase landlocked salmon in a river today.  Should be good fishing day with overcast skies and cooler air temperatures.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy