Wednesday, June 24, 2015

wet all over but feeling good

Hi Folks, Ran a big trip yesterday morning in the pouring rain and then taught a fly fishng clinic in the afternoon yesterday.  Well, wished for rain and now I believe we are on the precipice of setting a record for June rain fall in this neck of the woods.  Big rivers went up significantly once again yesterday.  We got on the water very early as the rain set in, so we had a window of opportunity to fish a larger river before it became totally blown out.  Water temperature was 60 degrees and the water clarity was off.  We fished lots of floating Rapalas in perch, fire tiger, black/gold, and black/ white in some larger primary pools and a few fish chase down the plugs.  However, the moment we slowed down our approach and dead drifted 3" Senkos on #2 Octopus hooks the game changed a bit.  Landed 4 rainbows and 1 brown trout on the Senkos.  Pretty interesting in that the soft rubber Senko is designed for bass.  We did hook several bass but were unable to land them.  Tough conditions to fish in, but my guests were troopers and endured.  In the afternoon, I taught a young man and his friend how to cast a fly rod.  I donated the clinic to the Make a Wish Foundation.  Every season I donate a trip or two to causes I feel worthy and this was a good one.  The young man and his friend will be traveling to Montana in several weeks to fly fish.  I hope that my instruction was helpful and useful and that they catch some nice trout on their Western fly fishing foray.  I am off to run the boat for bass this morning.  Good steady northwest wind, uggh.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy