Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Top water bite

Hi Folks, Ran my boat with clients yesterday morning chasing smallmouth bass.  Lots of rain again over the weekend has blown out our streams.  I guess I got what I wished for when I wanted it to rain, but the entire month of June has been awfully wet.  I have not been able to get near the Lamoille or Winooski for several weeks now due to high flows and poor clarity. So, my boat is getting a lot of work.  Surface temperature was 66 degrees and the conditions were did calm flat at 5:30am yesterday morning.  A few heavy rain showers moved in and out throughout the morning.  By around 9:00am you could feel the change in the weather as the front was passing through and the wind really picked up.  The popper the was the lure of the day yesterday.  Really good surface bite.  We had well over a dozen fish look up to eat.  Fire tiger was the most productive color.  I think in large part that was due to the water being pretty stained and off color.  We located smallmouth on the first significant drop off from the shore line in 8' to 12' of water.  A good percentage of the fish were set up off of large rocks and downed wood.  We did fish a bit of rubber and picked off a few bass, but the soft plastics bite was not fast and furious.  My take is he fish were probably having a hard time picking on the rubber worm in the dirty water.  As the front pushed through the bite did slow.  I am off to take a large group fishing this morning.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy