Sunday, August 11, 2013

Learning the art

Hi Folks, I changed directions yesterday morning and visited the local ski resort for a casting clinic and instructional fly fishing program.  Man, was the wind howling as a cold front had moved in across Vermont.  Nice big bright sunny ski and with it cool nights which will keep water temperatures down. Pretty darn nice weather for August and our streams are puffed up a bit again after prolonged rain on Friday.  I always like to tell people learning to fly fish that they "have to learn to walk before they can run."  Meaning you have to be able to cast the fly before you can even think about the fishing end of it.  Fly fishing is not easy and is an activity that is a life long pursuit.  One of the things that really appeals to me about it.  So, after running the clinic, I decided I wanted to catch some fish so I walked on one of my local brooks to fish some hole I had not visited in sometime.  Water temperature was 60 degrees and the clarity was excellent.  I had to focus on shady areas.  I worked up stream with a #12 yellow stimulator and was rewarded with a measured 11" brook trout and several 7" to 12" wild brown trout.  Nicely colored fish who slammed the dry fly.  Nice experience for an hour of fishing. I am off to chase trout with clients this morning on the Lamoille.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy