Monday, September 26, 2011

Is there anybody out there?

Hi folks, Spent an nice afternoon guiding a father son fly fishing pair on a small tributary of the Lamoille.  I have not seen another angler in weeks.  I have been guiding pretty much every day and moving around we are having the water to ourselves, perfect.  The stream we fly fished yesterday I do not visit as often as I should.  I use to fish a lot more and yesterday reminded me of how good it can be.  Nice warm sunny day with beautiful foliage and early am fog.  Water temperature was 60 degrees and the flow was perfect.  Lots of pocket water on this brook and it involves some walking in order to be fished correctly.  We had to nymph the entire time and we never changed flies.  We set up a short 2wt. and 3 wt. with white yarn indicators and #14 prince nymph and #14 copper john nymph.  Literally the third cast of the morning produced a large brown trout that schooled us in the pool and buried itself under a huge boulder.  I did see the fish and it was the one that got away.  However, all was not lost as we did manage to land a dozen wild trout including one of every species rainbow, brown, and brook trout.  Missed another half dozen fish. Some nice fish as well with brown trout and rainbow trout between 11" and 14".  The star of the day was my young angler friend who has held a fly rod since he could walk.  I have guided this pair of anglers many times and this young kid caught all 3 species on his own.  He did a better job with the fly rod then a lot of adults.  Really nice small stream experience.  Should be nice weather for the next few days before some more wet weather and cooler temperatures show up.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy