Wednesday, September 21, 2011

exploring

Hi Folks, I am often asked if I get a chance to fish?  I make time to fish and yesterday was one of those days.  Can't guided every day and it is nice to catch some fish myself every so often.  I like to river fish by myself for the most part.  So, I walked in the morning a small stream that is part of the Winooksi drainage and in the afternoon a tributary of the Lamoille.  I explored some water that I had not been on in a long time and even a strectch I had never walked.  You can only figure out a stream by getting in it.  Water temperatures have been between 52 degrees and 56 degrees.  Nice damp day yesterday with over cast conditions.  I did change waders and boots before moving from stream to stream.  Though I am not so sure many people are taking precautions to prevent the spread of non-native species in our streams.  In the morning the brook I fished was really clear and had with stood the heavy rains of Irene.  Lots of downed wood in this brook and not a lot of trout but the ones that are there are good sized.  I managed to spot 2 large brook trout holding in pools with wood.  Pretty fun watching them in action.  However, the moment I attempted to set-up for a cast, the fish spooked.  Always need to be really cautious in clear water streams.  I am sure that we fly anglers often spook a fair number of trout before we even get to cast to them.  No other fish in the morning and I did not even get a strike.  The afternoon made up for the morning  with lots of action.  The stream I was on does not get fished very often and I think most people think that it is dead water when they drive by it.  I had 20 wild rainbows come to the fly in a beat that was no more than 1/2 mile.  I rigged on a 3wt. a #14 stimulator with a #16 copper john nymph as a dropper.  I had fish eat both flies.  The bows were holding in the riffled water and not the pools.  No hatching insects, though the biting insects were fierce.  No monster fish but lots of jumping rainbows between 8" and 11" and the place to myself.  Back to guiding and watching people catch fish.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy