Tuesday, August 24, 2010

nice fishing weather

Hi Folks, Guide the Winooski drainage yesterday morning and then fished on my own in the afternoon.  Nice damp overcast day with passing showers.  Really cooled off as the air temperatures never passed 65 degrees.  The stream we fished in the morning was 62 degrees and the stream I visited in the afternoon was 62 degrees.  You have to likw when the water temperature stays pretty constant for the day.  We did receive a little over an inch of rain at my house in Stowe from Saturday night to Monday morning.  Welcome rain that raised the level in our rivers.  The Winooski was up but very fishable as it was slightly off color.  The streams I was on were higher than normal but still clear.  Spin fished in the am with my client and we landed 3 smallmouth bass and missed 2 other fish.  Did land a solid 2lb fish that put up a good tussle and took some line off the reel.  In the afternoon I walked  a short beat of water I had not been on in a few years.  Nice to see that it had not changed and still is stable with a good ratio of riffles to pools.  Caught trout in every pool I cast my #12 stimulator in to.  The fish of the afternoon was a beautiful almond colored female brown trout that came all the way out of the water and back down on my fly.  Great take and spectacular looking fish.  Had numerous wild rainbows attack the fly in the 6" to 12" range and they were certainly feisty in the cooler water.  Looking like nice weather for fishing this week.  I am off to guide with the boat this morning.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy