Saturday, September 17, 2016

streamer fishing

Hi Folks, Who said fishing guides don't like to fish?  Just dont always have the chance  during the season when you guide everyday.  I do not fish when guiding except with my eyes.  If I am fishing with clients, then I certainly would not be paying attention to them.  So, yesterday I got the opportunity to cast a fly on a Winooski trib. with a couple of friends.  Water temperature was 58 degrees.  Cool nights lately have dropped our water temperatures down enough now that the trout fishing is game on.  The water is still very low and we need rain. There was a small brook that dumps into the river we were fishing yesterday that was bone dry.  Not much for hatching bugs so we resorted to casting streamers.  I did not have much luck yesterday myself my friend Brian might mouse mouse carpenter and FX both caught wild trout streamer fishing.  I am the official photographer.  We we worked buggers in plunge pools and heavy riffles to draw interest from trout.  Casting into the heavy water and stripping back was the ticket.  The best fish of the day was a beautiful wild 20" female brown trout that ate a white and grizzly hackle wooly bugger.  A slim profiled muddler worked well also.  Streamer fishing is not always my first choice but extremely effective in getting a trout's interest.  Looking forward to fall and some good trout and salmon fishing.  Off to go to guide trout.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy