Saturday, May 23, 2015

Recon MIssion

Hi Folks, Guided two of my long repeat guest yesterday afternoon on a Lamoille tributary.  It just so happens that they purchased a 74 acre parcel that is part of this particular watershed in prime trout water.  Nice to know the land will be in good hands and conserved and preserved for future anglers to enjoy.  Our streams are incredibly low.  We really need rain or it could be a long summer of trout fishing.  Water temperature was 56 degrees and extremely clear.  Big time cold front came through with a frost warning last night into early this morning.  The wind really blew hard and steady from the north/northwest.  We saw a really good hatch of #16 Blue Quills late in the afternoon with some #22 Olives.  Lots of duns in eddies and tail outs of pools.  Unfortunately, not a damn fish responding to the hatches.  During the afternoon we did see a fair amount of #10/#12 March Browns hatching.  We did not have a single fish eat our flies.  Now we did walk around my clients property for awhile and not necessarily fished the whole time, but still makes me wonder? I like pursuing wild trout and try to stay away from the stocked areas.  However, it seems to me the stocked trout fishing is a bit more productive currently than what I have been witnessing on my area trout streams.  It looks like a bit more warm weather for the weekend and I will chasing trout this afternoon.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy