Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Brown Trout Mania

Hi Folks, Well, for July I cannot complain that the water temperature was a pleasant 63 degrees this morning on the small stream I guided.  Water is certainly still up on the big rivers.  Matter of fact, the Lamoille was chocolate milk when I crossed it today.  However, tributaries of the big water and small brooks are in fine shape for fishing.  If the water is clear, you can catch trout on a fly.  They have to eat!!!  Its my opinion that when the water is up and down the fish are always pretty aggressive. Especially, when the water is dropping from being high.  So, we waded some really nice pocket wader today under cloudy, misty, damp conditions.  We fished dry dropper rigs and had 1 rod with a #12 double tungsten black stone fly under an indicator.  We landed 8 wild brown trout from 6" to 12" and every fish ate a dry fly with exception of 2 trout.  We missed another half a dozen fish.  One particular brown was very large and swirled under the dry but did not eat.  We could not get the fish to come back and I even resorted to having my client swing a white zonker.  I have the fish marked for the future.  The 2 dry flies of the day were a #10 orange stimulator and #12 yellow foam thing.  Some outstanding takes.  I think because the water is up you have to make more drifts to get the fish to move.  It was interesting how we really did not have many strikes on the subsurface stuff.  Not complaining.  Well, Happy 4th of July. I am going to go wade a stream with some guests.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy