Monday, August 29, 2011

Flood

Hi Folks, Been pretty crazy in Vermont the last 48 hours.  Extreme flooding in the southern half of the state and the western portion.  There are still towns down south that are cut off due to roads and bridges being wiped out by flooded streams and brooks.  We were somewhat fortunate in the Stowe area as I received almost 4" of rain in 24 hours.  Other towns and areas took on 7" to 10" of rain which caused most of the major flooding.  I really feel for the people who have lost everything.  I cannot complain about the wet basement.  Hard to think about fishing will all of the devastation around us.  The Winooski is 10' over flood stage, though it has crested and is beginning to come down.  The Lamoille is in better shape and is within its banks.  I walked along the Lamoille above Morrisville today.  The water is high and dirty and it was obvious where it had come over its banks.  River fishing will not be an option on the Winooski for some time and the Lamoille maybe by week's end. A lot of good trout water got hammered from this storm and surely there will be a negative impact on the fisheries in some cases.   However, our river fish have survived floods before and they will again in the future.  I will be doing more exploring in the days to come.  Small streams around here are dropping like a stone and I know a couple I could fish tomorrow.  Nice weather forecast for the week with not much precipitation.  Should allow things to dry out.  Cool days and even cooler nights.  Lake and pond fishing will be a good option.  I resume guiding again on Wednesday and will be chasing northern and smallmouth from canoes and my boat.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy