Thursday, June 30, 2011

really good afternoon of fishing

Hi Folks, Spent a nice afternoon on the Lamoille watershed yesterday chasing trout with the fly.  Nice weather for fishing with cool air temperatures and cloudy skies.  Water temperatures ranged from 61 degrees to 64 degrees.  Water levels were slightly above the seasonal average.  Had to nymph fish with an indicator for a good part of the afternoon.  A #14 tungsten red thread prince nymph with a #16 olive caddis pupa as a dropper was a productive rig.  Landed several 8" to 11" wild rainbows on that rig and the fish ate both fly patterns.  Fished some heavy pocket water and line control was very important.  No fly line on the water and a lot of high stick mending.  Strikes were unmistakable as the indicator went shooting up stream every time a fish took the fly.  Ventured into a few very large plunge pools and worked a #10 heavily weighted wooly bugger under an indicator.  I moved the indicator up the line as the plunge pools had a fair amount of water in them and I wanted the fly to get down.  I usually set the indicator about a arm's length away from the fly.  Anyway, it did not take long before a very large brown trout was all over the fly and hooked.  Unfortunately the fish came undone and spit the fly.  Still got a good look at the big boy and he will be there for my next visit.  Stopped at the main stem of the Lamoille on the way home at a large pool that has frequently rising fish at dusk.  Saw a pretty good hatch of #14 light cahills and the trout responding to the light colored fly.  Watched and attemtpted to catch a brown trout that was gulping the may fly in a giant back eddy.  The fish was moving around eating and it took awhile to figure out its feeding pattern.  There was at least 8" between the dorsal fin and the tail of this large brown trout.  I would have guessed it to be at least 18" long as I got a really good luck at it from above the river.  Never got into the stream as I could cast to it from the bank.  This trout consumed me and I did even attempt to cast to the other rising fish.  Unfortunately the brown was smarter than I and I was unable to get it to eat before daylight ran out.  It appeared to be eating emergers from the looks of the rise form.  I saw the dorsal and tail more than the nose sticking out of the water.  I have it marked and will try again.  Not every day a big fish like that eats off the surface.  Hex hatch is going on.  Really challenging fishing, but an awesome display of rising fish.  I will off to guide trout this afternoon.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  Have Fun, Willy