Saturday, October 17, 2009

still cold

Hi Folks, Guided the Winooski yesterday afternoon and it is still cold out there.  Air temps, in the low 40's and the water temperature was 42 degrees.  My waders have been leaking for the last few weeks and I think my last foot is still numb.  Not much for hatching bugs yesterday as we saw a few #20 BWOs, but no rising fish.  We nymphed a lot of water and dead drifted buggers without a lot of love from the fish.  Had two strikes all afternoon.  Pretty slow afternoon as the cooling water temperatures seems to have slowed down the trout in our streams.  Slow presentations in deep slow pools are the way to go right now as I can't imagine the trout will move too far to eat with the cold water.  Still look for trout rising on long slow flats to tiny BWOs.  I will be guiding this afternoon and we will see what happens.  Remember to clean your gear and keep the non-native species at home.  have Fun, Willy